Salt and pepper is a basic ingredient in a kitchen whether you are a gourmet chef or just a home buddy who likes to cook. Any recipe wouldn’t be the complete without good ol’ salt and pepper. Freshly ground salt and pepper is the best when you want the best flavor. There is really a difference in taste between freshly ground salt and pepper than just the ones manufactured and sold in the supermarkets.
Fresh ground spices have a shorter shelf life but they have richer flavor and potency, however, they oxidize quite quickly. When you use freshly ground spices, you will save more money and protect yourself from having to use stale spices. Since you only ground them when you needed or as per requirement of you dish.
We usually find salt and pepper mills in restaurants. If it’s your first time using them, they require manual work and can be a little inconvenient when you have the option of using pre-ground salt and pepper shakers. In olden times, when you want spices for your meals, then you have to ground them using a mortar and pestle which requires more effort. Thanks to modern day creativity and ingenuity, we easily get spices in a more convenient manner. If you are looking for weed & herb grinder instead, see this post for more information.
Now you have several options as to how you want to prepare and ready your spices. Unless you have your own personal chef at home, you might want to consider having your own manually operated salt and pepper grinder. Regularly using a salt and pepper grinder will give your meals an added touch of class, just like how it is when you are in a fancy restaurant. Not only that, it will also raise your standards for food preparation. Below, we will review the best Salt and Pepper Grinder and Set in 2015:
Product Description: Unicorn Magnum has an extra-large steel mechanism with an adjustable grind size with its bottom thumbscrew which enables faster grinder. It’s very easy to clean with just a glass cleaner and a paper towel. This mill only comes in one color which is black. If you tend to use lots of salt and pepper for your meals then this is the grinder for you. You can adjust the grind size from fine to even extra coarse.
I’ve come across so many salt and pepper mills from the most basic ones to the battery powered ones. This is one of the best pepper mills that I have used. I like the consistency of the grind and how fine the pepper is after whenever I grind it. It’s very easy to use since you just turn the top wheel to fill your salt or pepper and then grind them in a clockwise direction. I like how big the container is and it truly can house peppercorn.
- It’s very easy to fill and refill. There are no screws to remove, just twist the top covering to place your pepper and salt in the mill.
- It’s very comfortable to use. The grinder is just the right size and will not cramp your hand.
- It’s not the sleekest when it comes to aesthetics. I would prefer it if it were made of stainless steel rather than plastic.
- Can be pricey for a salt and pepper grinder.
Product Description: What makes Peugeot different from other grinders is that it has a seven unique spice specific mechanism for salt, pepper, spices and herbs including chili peppers and nutmeg. There is only one mechanism that can work for all of these – the Peugeot grinding mechanism. You can grind all of these herbs and spices from coarse to very fine texture. It’s fairly easy to use, just turn the base of the mill and choose the grind size. You will get precise results with each grind.
This is another great pepper and salt mill that you should have in your kitchen. This grinder is made in France; we all know that the French has that refined taste when it comes to food and very meticulous when it comes to preparation. This peppermill is very nice to look at and very sturdy. It’s not uncomfortable to hold and can definitely hold a lot of salt, pepper, herbs and spices. I love this mill’s ability to change the coarseness of the grind just by rotating the base. Always works great and is consistent.
- Just the right size which can hold a lot of salt, pepper and spices.
- Very easy and convenient to use.
- More on the steeper price but worth it.
OXO Good Grips Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
2-in-1 Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
Choosing the right mill may not require deep thought but it helps that you know what to look for. Many people have regretted their decision of buying the first thing that they have seen in the supermarket. Don’t be like that. This is a kitchen tool that you will be using on a daily basis so as per preference and intended use; you have to know what kind of mill or grinder that you want.
Read more on How to chose the best pepper grinder.
There are lots of options and there are lots of different mills and grinders in the market and there are different models. Some may look similar but actually have different mechanisms. This salt and pepper mill will be a long term investment for you so better choose one that will fit your needs.
Here are some tips for you in choosing a certain model for a salt and pepper grinder. As I have said, depending on the use whether you are a hard core kitchen chef or just like to cook then finding the right mill will benefit you. Ask yourself these questions when you are overwhelmed by the choices being offered to you.
- Will this be for home use only?
- Where will you store this? At the kitchen or in the dining room?
- Will you need a small or big grinder?
- Are you using this for a company or restaurant?
- Will you be using this for catering?
- How about the grind? Do you need several options of will one or two grind options be enough?
- Are you using this exclusively for salt or pepper or will you grinding other spices and herbs?
- Does aesthetics matter to you? Do you want one that comes in a set or is one just enough?
- You also have to look into its durability. How many times will you be using this grinder and how many people will be using it?
- Also examine the grind mechanism, the ease of use and other details to determine the best mill for you.
There are many more options available than you might think. And all models are certainly not the same. Equipping your kitchen with a good set of salt and pepper mills will be a long-term investment for the future and you can enjoy them every day.